The Gilmores have had to pinch pennies a few times. Granted, Emily & Richard had to bail them out for both Chilton & Yale. The most noticeable episode on how to get through tough economic times was in season 4 called “A Family Matter”. In order to get the inn up and running Lorelai secretly did the following:
- Buy food that you have to assemble. This includes bread, cheese and a tomato to save on take out costs.
- Skip window shopping and then fight over a free tote bag.
- Get rid of movie channels.
- Cancel magazine subscriptions including Squegee Beckenheim’s.
- Switch to a lower watt bulb. Then people won’t notice that I don’t have Rory’s flawless complexion. What are your favorite Gilmore money saving tips?