If you’ve already seen “My Fair Lady” you must read “Pygmalion” by George Bernard Shaw. Even if you didn’t like “My Fair Lady” (what’s wrong with you?), you should still read the play it was based on. “Pygmalion” is drastically different. Here’s just a few ways that the play differs:
1. Eliza’s dad is left a great deal of money by a rich philanthropist who likes his novel ideas. Mr. Doolittle still can’t manage to take care of Eliza because all of the money is consumed by keeping up appearances.
2. In the final scene where Higgins asks Eliza to come live with him, Eliza says no. She basically says that Higgins has treated her like dirt & she is going to marry Freddie because he is nice to her. (Way to go Eliza!!! I have always wondered why she ended up with him in “My Fair Lady”)
3. Higgins tries to bully her into it because she has nothing else to do to support herself. Eliza says she has learned more about diction & speaking from him, plus she isn’t mean to people, so she can be a teacher like he is. Basically she threatens to become his competition.
4. Freddie & Eliza marry. Freddie’s family has only been keeping up appearances, they are broke. So they move in with Higgins & Pickering. Eliza loves Pickering dearly & is quite tough on Higgins, always nagging him.
5. Eliza & Freddie need a way to support themselves so Pickering helps them set up a flower shop. They aren’t very good at it.
I don’t know what will happen to Rory’s book club since the WB has merged into the CW. Hopefully, they keep it up. Either way, I am still going to read all the books. If you have any comments about this book/movie/play please…well comment. That was redundant, I’ll do better, sorry.